Friday, April 9, 2010

Best Fiend/Friend

Not only did I get a helmet yesterday, but I also got a bike to go with it. It looks like this:


It's a Marin Larkspure purchased at Olympia Cycle and Ski on Portage. This is a hybrid bike, so it looks kind of like a mountain bike, but it has a lighter frame and larger, thinner wheels. I knew what I would be doing for the next few years did not constitute a road bike, plus a hybrid is way easier on my back and wallet. I test rode five bikes, and this one was my favourite for three reasons. 1) It was the cheapest. 2) The seat did not violate me in unspeakable ways. 3) It comes with this this awesome feature:



Yes folks, that is a suspension seat, and I LOVE it. I tried a bike with suspension forks instead, but I didn't like the feel of the ride. I brought my helmet along, rode my new purchase home and it was 9km of pure bliss. Seriously, I was downright giddy when I got home. I think it was a combination of finally being able to ride outside and coming to the realization that I do not have to get on another stationary bike for a very long time. Now I am in the middle of planning my outdoor training, and tomorrow will be my first long ride. I plan to go for around 25km, just to get a feel for the bike and my new computer, and to set a baseline for the rest of my training. I know that there will come a day when my bike and I do not see eye to spoke, but this our honeymoon phase, so just close the curtain and let us enjoy ourselves.

Note: A couple people have asked me where I got my helmet. It is Bellisima brand and was purchased at Mountain Equipment Coop. I also ordered this online as well.  

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

You are inspiring me to go bike shopping - my antique is nowhere near as sexy as your sweet ride!

J