Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ride Grub

The thing about reaching one goal is that I've become thirsty for more, so my next goal is.....my first century ride. That would be 100km (I'm Canadian, we work in kilometers, deal with it). I want to do this on the Thanksgiving weekend, so that would be October 11th. I've thought this through, and I think riding 100km to my Grandparent house for dinner is perfect for one reason. There will be pie waiting for me....and plenty of it!

In order to succeed at this I need to keep training, and since my long rides will be that much longer I figured I would need a bad ass granola bar to get me though them. You can find the original recipe here, I have altered it a bit to look more like a Nigella Lawson recipe I have but cannot find.

Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment paper and spray liberally with your brand of Pam.
In a small saucepan slowly heat 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter until the butter is almost melted, then take it off the heat.
In a large bowl combine 3 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped), 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup shredded coconut and 1 cup peanuts (salted or unsalted...whatever floats your boat)
Pour the warm condensed milk into the oat mixture and stir until well coated.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and squoosh it down until the top is level and the mixture is compact. I put some plastic wrap on top so my hands don't get all sticky. (I'm a delicate flower, I know)

Pop those suckers into a 250 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes, until the tops are light brown and your house smells amazing. Let cool for about 15 minutes, lift the bars out of the pan, cut, then let cool completely. You will never look at the store bought ones quite the same again.

No comments: